Can you guys suggest me good books on poetry or any favourite poet of yours?

Ive started writing poems and thinking of writing more.I would love to hear about some good poets or books from you guys. You can share yours too!❤️

Topic Tags

If you like poetry, you must read The Waste Land by TS Eliot. It is a difficult read in the beginning, but the more we go into it, the more it grabs us. The opening line itself is a classic

April is the cruellest month ---.

The conclusion is breath taking; it quotes from the Brihadyanka Upanishad and it is all about the Da sound and how it is interpreted. Daya, Dayadhyam, Datta. Have you shown compassion? Have you been disciplined? Have you given freely?

Om Swami ji has also talked about the three meanings of the sound Da.

After I read it a few times, with the help of Cliff Notes, I realized it is one of the best poems ever written.

Here are a few of my recommendations:

- Anything by Robert Frost, especially, say, "The Road Not Taken", "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening", "Mending Wall", "Dust of Snow", and also "Birches".

- "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe is a classic.

- I quite enjoyed The Iliad by Homer, Alexander Pope's classic translation is by far the best as he maintains the dactylic hexameter of the poetry. The Odyssey not so much, but you can try that out too.

- Emily Dickinson has to be mentioned, even if I don't love her work all that much. Same goes for Walt Whitman. They're both outstanding poets, see if those resonate with you!

Maithilisharan Gupt

Gulzar

John Keats

In which language? If English there are many. If Hindi and Urdu there are numerous as well.

• Jalal al-din Rumi. The translation of 'Masnavi' by Coleman Barks.
  • Rabindranath Tagore.
  • Rudyard Kipling, the poem 'If'.

Rupi Kaur

--- one poem from her book "Milk and Honey" ---

how is it so easy for you 

to be kind to people he asked

milk and honey dripped

from my lips as i answered

cause people have not

been kind to me

--- one poem from her book "Home Body" ---

depression is silent

you never hear it coming

and suddenly it's

the loudest voice in your head

SADHVI'S WRITINGS

@sadhvivrinda

🙏🏵️

Mary Oliver's poems especially her collection called DEVOTIONS.

For poetry please read Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore...those poems will melt your heart! 

The Golden Treasury of English poems.It is the collection of the best English poems.Its a beautiful book to be treasured.

Related Posts

Posted in 3y ago

The Book of Kindness

How to Make Others Happy and Be Happy Yourself

Million Thoughts – A Book For Meditation

Expert advice by a Himalayan Monk who practiced meditation for 10000 plus hours

Wu Wei: Letting Good Things Happen

The beautiful Tao concept of Wu-Wei shows how non-action is the greatest action sometimes. Plus, an announcement...

Let go and breathe in the real you

Join the kindest community, where personal failures & victories are celebrated and inspiration & happiness is shared

EXPLORE View All

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *