Ive started writing poems and thinking of writing more.I would love to hear about some good poets or books from you guys. You can share yours too!❤️
Can you guys suggest me good books on poetry or any favourite poet of yours?
Here are a few of my recommendations:
- Anything by Robert Frost, especially, say, "The Road Not Taken", "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening", "Mending Wall", "Dust of Snow", and also "Birches".
- "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe is a classic.
- I quite enjoyed The Iliad by Homer, Alexander Pope's classic translation is by far the best as he maintains the dactylic hexameter of the poetry. The Odyssey not so much, but you can try that out too.
- Emily Dickinson has to be mentioned, even if I don't love her work all that much. Same goes for Walt Whitman. They're both outstanding poets, see if those resonate with you!
In which language? If English there are many. If Hindi and Urdu there are numerous as well.
- Jalal al-din Rumi. The translation of 'Masnavi' by Coleman Barks.
- Rabindranath Tagore.
- Rudyard Kipling, the poem 'If'.
--- one poem from her book "Milk and Honey" ---
how is it so easy for you
to be kind to people he asked
milk and honey dripped
from my lips as i answered
cause people have not
been kind to me
--- one poem from her book "Home Body" ---
depression is silent
you never hear it coming
and suddenly it's
the loudest voice in your head
Mary Oliver's poems especially her collection called DEVOTIONS.
For poetry please read Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore...those poems will melt your heart!
Let go and breathe in the real you
Join the kindest community, where personal failures & victories are celebrated and inspiration & happiness is sharedSign Up for Free