I was getting overwhelmed by my emotions towards our country

I am so tired, I literally want to cry right now. whenever I am travelling, my parents tell me to watch the surroundings and observe people. But for me, whenever I watch them, I am getting so irritated that literally ALMOST NO ONE are wearing helmets, no one is following traffic rules, there is no hygeine, they are spitting on the roads, so many people are still using single-use plastic near my house even after telling them many times.. I really don't know what I can do!! how can I contribute my part to our country and WHY IS NOBODY IS MAKING ANY EFFORT TO MAKE OUR COUNTRY A BETTER PLACE?? please give some suggestions. no one is trying to underastand me, even my parents, they are thinking I am being crazy for saying things like these. I AM FEELING VERY LONELY

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Be the change you want to see in this world! Slowly and silently your transformation will transform those in your closest circle and then those in their closest circle and that’s how it will spread like a chain reaction and eventually the world will be a better place!

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

We see what we want to see. When I visit India, I see beautiful, warm hospitable people everywhere. Even the stranger on the street is kind, and helps me cross the busy, crowded road with all kinds of traffic. I see beautiful temples on  mountain tops in the himalayas. The food is amazing, everything is organic and full of flavour. Many of the ashrams are very confortable, pulsating with spiritual energy. Yes, there is dirt on the road, the traffic is chaotic, people defy safety rules, hygiene is missing, but it is still a great country with traditions going back thousands of years.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

I came across a saying a few years ago that made a deep impact on me : if you see something that needs doing and for some reason if no one’s doing it, it means it’s your job. 

One key question to contemplate is how important is this issue to you?

There are so many things in our lives, and I also include myself in this category where we lament over the state of something but we don’t really feel a true pull towards doing anything about it. That’s ok..there is no right or wrong answer. Just something for you to contemplate. In the end, we have to be brutally honest within ourselves. The reason I ask this question is for one reason alone. You Have No Idea What Your Potential is! You are literally a spark of the divine. You have within you what it takes to put a dent in the universe. However, unless you really really really deeply and passionately care about an issue, your mind and body will not oblige to release that energy reserve that lies dormant within you to make the change happen. I speak from experience.  

Let me give you a well known Indian example. At a time when the vast majority of Indians tolerated being treated like second hand citizens, one ordinary citizen, a barrister one Mr. Mohandas K. Gandhi on account of an incident of his mistreatment, decided then and there and he was going to do something about this situation. His resentment of his treatment and other Indians in that moment of epiphany was not superficial. He felt it in every atom of his being. This was an emotion that burrowed straight into his core and shook him.  One man. One rather very unremarkable man (up to that point), decided to stand up against the vast and extraordinary might of an empire. An empire upon which at that time the sun never set! His passion was so intense towards his goal that he changed the course of history such that in time we would all come to know him by a different name. Mahatma Gandhi. He exemplified the philosophy If you Think You Can, You Will

So if this issue means a great deal to you, then don’t be complacent. Take the initiative to do something about it. Not about India as we know it, but start with your India. We all live in  the one Earth, but there are over 7 billion worlds! Start with your personal world. Take a stand there. Take the initiative to make your personal world better for yourself first. Become involved. Every little step forward will truly be a transformative step. This will really boost your inspiration levels and also your enthusiasm. 

My take home message to you is that do not ever underestimate your potential or what you are capable of! You have what it takes to change the world! Believe in yourself, again I tell you, within you lies dormant the power of the universe. To release it, you need to care about something very deeply enough. Not all issues may be your cup of tea so to speak and thats ok. Each person has their own individual calling in life. So decide if this is an issue that’s worth caring about that deeply for you. Once you contemplate this, I promise you, you will be at more peace within.

joy to you!

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Hi Harikasri

I understand your point. There is a mistake I did and we all do at some point: We try to change others. But this isn't possible and it is a sure route to misery. But there are things you can surely do:

ALMOST NO ONE are wearing helmets

You can wear a helmet, and definitely do so. Others will follow if you set the right example and they are aligned. Also, pay close attention you will see some people do wear one:)

No one is following traffic rules:

You try to follow them the best you can. Or at least try to be kind even if you have to break them, because I understand it can be hard and you'll be stuck forever if everyone is overtaking you. But be kind, and the change will come one person at a time. Most importantly, you will be at peace.

There is no hygiene:

Take care of your hygiene and do the best you can. If hygiene at restaurants bother you, then eat at home:)

They are spitting on the roads:

Don't spit yourself. Many people don't spit. Try to see the good

So many people are still using single-use plastic near my house even after telling them many times

You set the example and if you can afford it, maybe provide them with alternatives. Sometimes people just stick with what they know and have because the alternative isn't easy.

All in all, we can only bring change by setting an example, and not by telling others to change. Let's inspire them instead:)

Show 2 comments

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Some part of this question was also somewhere in my mind. Many have given beautiful answers and so, I will also try to not change other people.
I recently read in a book (Urban Naxals), the account of people in sub-urban areas, where the community pay the officers to have water-pipe going through their region (not for their use) broken so they can bath, use the water.
So maybe, hygiene is not a priority for them (people who are not financially well, and form a big part of our country), but survival?

Show 2 comments

Please to comment.

Add a comment

acceptance. It's the key to happiness and spiritual life. Expectations, on the other hand leads to misery.

it's good to have great feelings to do good for the people and the nation. As long as you're contributing your bit, without forcing your ideas on people, it's serving the selfless purpose. But, when you start expecting that others also do the same, there's a sense of entitlement that what you're doing is right and what others are doing they are wrong, While each one of us believes that I'm right in what I do and that's always based on one's current understanding level.

For example, there must be a time in your life when you also did those things which you now see as wrong, just reflect on one or more such incidents. You now have evolved but not everyone has, accept this fact and feel compassion for those beings in your heart, pray to lord to give them right wisdom.

There must still be things in your life which still need work (otherwise you're an awakened being :)). Ask yourself about those things (including attachments, anger etc.) is it good to keep them in your life? No, but you can't get rid of them as per your wish; it takes time. Don't feel guilty; accept yourself the way you are with those issues, and pray to lord for wisdom for yourself to evolve further.

One can only change one's own world; the whole world was and will continue to exist without me. Let me be better version of myself. When we work selflessly without expectations from others, we gradually shed our ego, and the universe comes behind the one who's selfless, then and only then, your power to change the world will manifest in a great magnitude. As long as ego is there, your own energies will be consumed by its constant complaints, comparisons and suffering.

Let me quote Swamiji's answer from Q&A in The Rainmaker book:

Q.: Is a life with God’s presence in it more rewarding than one without it? What makes life beautiful for one person and miserable for another?
Ans: Expectations (pauses)…so definitely a life with God in it is…how do I say it…it’s like if you are purely living for yourself, then your life has no God in it. It may have idols, mantras, sadhanas, but it will have no God. If your life has other people in it and you are trying to make their lives better, then you already have God in your life. And what makes one person more miserable than the other? Well, the answer is expectations. Expectations come from a sense of entitlement, which is a direct derivative of false pride. False pride is simply, intrinsically and inevitably linked to one’s ego, which stems from ignorance. This inevitably means that this person is fast asleep in their bed of illusions.

Jai Sri Hari 🙏

Show 2 comments

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *