Increase in Sensitivity of emotions

[Solved]

Is it normal to cry more, once you are regular in meditation?

Do you feel emotional outbursts, even by seeing actors on TV and or movie showing compassionate acts?

Ahhh ..please do share your monitoring parameters for clarity

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

There's a tale of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa related to this topic:

At one point, the saint was performing intense Sadhana that included a ton of meditation. In between his Sadhana, he went to bathe in a nearby river. Over there, a husband and wife were arguing about something (typical household!). Their discord caused so much distress to the saint that he held his ears and ran far away from them.

When someone asked him about it, Sri Ramakrishna replied (paraphrased), "The fact that I couldn't handle their pain is a great sign! It means that my Sadhana is progressing well. The more sensitive we become to others' sufferings and unhappiness, the more spiritually elevated we've become."

From personal experience, meditation and Sadhana makes us extremely sensitive to others' distress. It can be people or animals or anything. After I had a Vision of the Divine, I went through an intolerable phase of intense suffering. People would approach me with a smile, but I would feel unbearable discomfort if they were unhappy from the inside. Sometimes, I would even start crying.

Swami gave me a suggestion to deal with this situation. He directed me towards building non-attachment towards the world. Even though non-attachment usually comes by itself, we still need to put in some effort. I did as he said, and my situation has improved a great deal. Even now I sense others' sufferings and feel sad, but it is not torturous as before.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Yes & Yes.
Even seeing animals, human beings suffer, and also becoming happy when someone excels. 

I feel this happens when one is more kind and mindful of others' feelings and more feeling of oneness with all. 
But, I don't see it related to meditation(or may be it is and I don't know)

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

I've cried more in the past three years than probably any other time of my life.  Probably comparable to my first three years as a baby on this planet!  For me it is a combo of reasons: Sometimes they are tears of gratitude that I found Swamiji and this path.  Other times they are tears of separation, of feeling that how could I ever realize "I am that" with all my flaws.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

My wife and My mother both of them cry while watching Anupama😃

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

I asked this question recently to one of the Swamiji's initiated devotees recently that " Am I turning mad?". I cry at the drop of hat these days. There is no conscious suffering that leads to that crying but as if my heart wants to burst out for my Lord. Sometimes, a mere remembrance of the divine makes u cry, it does become a challenge when people are around but in those times, I simply pray to the divine within to give me strength. 

I remember 2 years back, one day, the thought of so much misery in the world left me restless for the entire night and I just cried the entire night. I started donating to random charities, organizations that night to relieve myself from the pain I was experiencing. Very soon, I realized how utterly selfish is the life I live and what a small heart I have, I would have hardly donated 20% of what I earned that night and the question of my own survival started coming, dissipating the thought of the well-being of others. 

A night before I was crying for the pain and well-being of others, and the next morning I selfishly stopped giving and sharing due to fear of my own survival. I washed my crocodile tears and put the facade of logic and selfish reasoning and understood the stark reality of my selfish existence. " My heart is not open enough to embrace all". I also got the intuitive answer to why there is so much suffering, " Divine comes to us in the form of suffering and misery to open our closed hearts".So, whenever I see myself overwhelmed with emotions for the suffering of the world, I ask myself a simple question, Am I ready and afford to do something about it? If the answer is "Yes", I do that as an offering to our beloved Swamiji, and if the answer is " No", I simply pray to Lord to lead me in a way so that my heart one day becomes fearless and open enough to embrace all".

My apologies for such a long rambling.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

For the last few years, I am feeling this kind of emotional outburst. I never thought it is because of spiritual awakening. Your question made me think seriously about this and I found the answer is yes. If you are doing such practice, you will be more sensitive to the pain and suffering of others. 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *