Why are we so conditioned to choose familiarity over sanity?

Why is our mind so afraid of uncertainty? I understand the evolutionary fear of unknown, but how to rise above it and embrace the uncertainty with Grace? 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Hi Krittika,

It is because the mind magnifies the unknown. It always thinks that the unknown future is big and tough. The fear of suffering is greater than the suffering itself, as Paolo Coehlo says. Think about it, if you ever faced something you absolutely feared, when you faced it, i wasn't so bad after all. You lived.

So mind just magnifies what it doesn't know. I feel it helps to always compare the future to your today. If you tell yourself, well it will be like today. E.g. When we were toddlers driving a car or riding a bike seemed so scary and unattainable. But when we did it, it was just fine and became easy. 

And there is a gap we need to jump through between comfort/misery and going onto the other side. This also happens in break ups, just jumping the bridge takes a while, and jumping that requires us to just ignore the mind/fear and take a leap of faith. Mind will try to cling to the known, even if that is misery, but we gotta jump and have faith. Plus we have Swami:) Hold His hand and jump!

Our liberation lies on the other side (if the other side consists of what we want).

Good luck:) And keep going❤

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Dear Krittika, Mind and thought are one and the same. Thought implies presence of mind and with thought enters the field of time. Outside of thought, there is no time or mind for that matter. What lies outside of time is the eternal field of the NOW, which is an ever-existent field of consciousness. Raw unbound consciousness is like a massive river that is ever flowing. The only way to know it is to flow with it and go with it with no agenda whatsoever. To flow with life means to step outside of the mind-created field of thought and time. What the mind mistakenly tries to do again and again is to  scoop a handful of water from the river with the intent of being able to grasp the entire river! The moment you pick up water in your hand, its no longer flowing. Thats what Familiarity at the level of the mind does to reality. It tries to force consciousness into its tiny framework of thought and time. This is also why life as experienced by our minds is never fully satisfying. Its because we wish to experience the immensity of river and yet what we are doing instead of jumping into the river is to pick up a bucket of water from the river and hope that it will have all the magic and immensity of the river!  Uncertainty implies something that fundamentally lies outside of the minds framework to conceptualize and it means to step outside of the field of thought and time and enter the ever-present field of the NOW. This truly terrifies the mind, because embracing uncertainty represents the embracing of death as far as the mind is concerned!..Little surprise that it resists it :). From the minds perspective, a known devil is better than an unknown angel! Death of the mind marks the birth of Nirvana.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Dear Krittika,

Whenever you are aware of a thought that causes fear.. Just smile and say in your head Swami ji jaane aur swami ji ki kaam  ... 100% trust on swami ji for whatever is happening and whatever will happen is for your good.... Jiske sir upar tu swami so dar kaisa  hoye ..:) 

(45) Jis ke Sir Upar Tu Swami Shabad - YouTube

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Reminding ourselves that nothing in life is certain (except death that is) and that the beauty of this incarnation is to surrender to Divine Grace and watch it unfold. ❤️

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

It goes against the very fabric of mind to embrace uncertainty because the mind clings to permanency because it falsely believes that whatever is giving it happiness will continue to give it happiness, although we all know how soon the mind gets over things!

The important thing to notice here is that the mind only gets over things that are available without the least of resistance! As soon as the mind senses any threat or resistance in having that thing, the clinging game begins! Think of a kid what doesn't even look at a toy till another kid comes for a playdate and wants that toy, all hell breaks loose!

So on one hand the mind wants permanency and on the other, it gets over it pretty soon! 

Whatever we create a big scene about, the mind will cling yo that! If you can maintain a "no-biggie" attitude to everything and every thought and every incident and every one, your mind will naturally be free and happy! 

Be at ease with everything and your mind will be naturally detached without major efforts. 

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Thank you Thank you so much Krittika.. I listened to this beautiful bhajan because of your question..

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *