Dear Members - We wanted to share an update about the spam attack that our website recently experienced. It started on Sep 11th and we received over 2000 spam posts + Q&A over last few days. The good news is that our services continued with very little impact.
Some changes were made to make our posts spam resistant and now the system handles "new" posts a bit differently and this update is to share those changes with everyone.
- For all members, some limits have been added. Free Members can publish one new member post in 24 hours, while premium members can post one in 2 hours.
- Publishing process would continue to work pretty much as is for premium members and regular members. We had temporarily moved to manual approval of member posts (in last few days) but we are now back to normal so you would see your posts going live immediately as usual.
- For members who are writing for the first time, there are some checks that have been added so your posts may get flagged for manual review which may take about a day at the max. You would be able to see that your post is under review.
- Spam protection has been deployed which tries to look at the member behavior + post content and marks certain posts as spam. Again if these are genuine posts, questions or answers, they would get approved.
- When posts go under review, based on the member behavior the system may temporarily disable all of your publishing rights till your posts get approved. You just need to wait for a day or two and if your posts are genuine, your account would go back to normal status.
Please do share your suggestions or feedback if you feel that any other areas can be improved as far as publishing process is concerned.
Live. Love. Laugh. Give.