Your os.me posts are now smarter & spam resistant

Dear Members - We wanted to share an update about the spam attack that our website recently experienced. It started on Sep 11th and we received over 2000 spam posts + Q&A over last few days. The good news is that our services continued with very little impact.

Some changes were made to make our posts spam resistant and now the system handles "new" posts a bit differently and this update is to share those changes with everyone.

1. For all members, some limits have been added. Free Members can publish one new member post in 24 hours, while premium members can post one in 2 hours.
  2. Publishing process would continue to work pretty much as is for premium members and regular members. We had temporarily moved to manual approval of member posts (in last few days) but we are now back to normal so you would see your posts going live immediately as usual.
  3. For members who are writing for the first time, there are some checks that have been added so your posts may get flagged for manual review which may take about a day at the max. You would be able to see that your post is under review.
  4. Spam protection has been deployed which tries to look at the member behavior + post content and marks certain posts as spam. Again if these are genuine posts, questions or answers, they would get approved.
  5. When posts go under review, based on the member behavior the system may temporarily disable all of your publishing rights till your posts get approved. You just need to wait for a day or two and if your posts are genuine, your account would go back to normal status.

Please do share your suggestions or feedback if you feel that any other areas can be improved as far as publishing process is concerned. 

Sincerely,
🙏
os.me Team
Live. Love. Laugh. Give.

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Couple of suggestions:

1. Provide a spam button so if the spam post/QA is missed by the automated filter, people can report it. Which will then go to review. To consider only quality reporting, such button can weigh reporting based on a condition that accounts for number of reports and reputation (karma points) of individuals reporting content as spam. For instance,

if ($numberOfUniqueReports > 5 || $reportersRep > 500) {

markForManualReview($postId);

}

2. Answers/posts/comments by people having greater N karma points can be allowed without moderation. This is only when every content is going through manual review – as I can see for QA. This way the community continue to function as is even under spam attack requiring manual review. If a reputed old user engages in spam, his karma points can be taken away or a hidden variable/flag can be deployed which indicates that this person's karma points need not be considered and goes through moderation as new users.

Jai Sri Hari 🙏

Show 2 comments

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

It's a great decision by team. Spams must be stopped osme is beautiful community and we don't want anyone to spoil it.

Thanks team

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Thank you everyone for your kind comments & suggestions. Responding to Mihir's queries here to share answers with everyone:

1. Spam control does not apply to comments since comments are open to Premium Members only. There would be a way to report comments or commentor but no automated spam control is planned.

2. Yes, there is a communication sent to the author that their post is under review. And on approval another email goes to inform the author that the post is now approved.

Sincerely,
🙏
os.me Team
Live. Love. Laugh. Give.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

This is great news that our posts are now smarter and spam resistant. The osme team should also lay out some broad guidelines for posts. Most of us are following these guidelines anyway, but they could be helpful to newcomers.

1. Nothing offensive or demeaning to any community.

2. Nothing political.

3. Anything else the team can think of, to maintain the quality of the posts.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Great decision. Let content be scrutinized before accepting

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

This is a great decision. This may increase the work on admin team but will truly help to keep this forum clean. 

Two questions: Does it apply to comments as well? Secondly, is there any communication sent out to publisher when their posts are kept on hold and expected timelines when they can expect it to be published? I think communication is key and if publishers are posted about it by automated feedback, it will help soothe any anxieties. Of-course decision of admin will be binding and that can be added in Postscript of every communication. 

Regards

Mihir

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

This is a great upgrade! Thank you the wonderful osdotme team! Please take care!

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *