How?

How to remain 'Attached yet Detached'?

Add a comment

Please login to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

I personally believe, although I don’t have sufficient wisdom to prove my thoughts true, that it all narrows down to a key component- self-control.

Why do we attach ourselves to something or someone? We find it/them pleasant. Similarly, we detach ourselves from all that we find unpleasant. When we start liking something excessively, it is called an addiction.

in the autumn season, it is warm, yet cool. Neither hot, nor cold. You feel cold if the fan is turned on too fast, yet sweat when turned off. What do you do?

You put it at a medium speed.

I feel if we want to be attachedly detached, the extremes can never be the completely right choice. Writing with a pencil is a better choice than inking it or not writing at all.

of course, you may choose to be detached from my answer. But I’d suggest the middle path 😀

Add a comment

Please login to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Why do you wanna be both attached and detached?! Why be this or that?! How about just be nothing....neither attached, nor detached......just nothing! 

😉 

Show 1 comment

Please login to comment.

Add a comment

I think attachment arises due to the need to fill in a gap. To be detached means to be okay with something and be okay without it too. And detachment doesn’t mean you stop loving the person. It only means that you give them the freedom to be who and how they want to be.

So how to do that? By understanding that the other person has a life of their own and giving them the freedom to be as they wish, yet being there for them and vice versa.

I think:)

Add a comment

Please login to comment.

Add a comment

Swami Vivekananda in his lectures on Karma Yoga - Work and its Secret, & The Secret of Work,  shares on this.

Bhagavad Gita speaks about Non-attachment to work.

While working on something, work with full-hearted devotion,  but accept the outcome in complete surrender. While loving someone, love them unconditionally.

Easier said than done, right?  The way to reach there is through practice.

But, what should we practice?

1) Working Selflessly & doing good work, and slowly it will become second nature. 

Swami Vivekananda shares -
we are every moment is determined by the sum total of these impressions on the mind. Thus, if a man thinks good thoughts and does good works, the sum total of these impressions will be good; and they, in a similar manner, will force him to do good even in spite of himself. When a man has done so much good work and thought so many good thoughts that there is an irresistible tendency in him to do good in spite of himself and even if he wishes to do evil, his mind, as the sum total of his tendencies, will not allow him to do so; the tendencies will turn him back; he is completely under the influence of the good tendencies.

2) Remember the path to being detached, goes through first being attached to good things, and then you get a stage to be detached.  

Example - first devotion and deep attachment with lord so you annihilate yourself comes, and only then to transcend to nirvikalp stage. 

Add a comment