Do you know how to be happy ?

Today, I asked a group of people about their goals in life. One of them was 'to be happy.' I let it sink in and now wonder how many of us know how to be happy. 

If you do, what tips would you have for those who seek to be happy (esp. for late teens)?

Update: Wow thank you for all your incredible answers. I deeply appreciate your input and shall share them at any given opportunity:)

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

yes, by  cultivating an attitude of " Whatever comes of its own, let it come" 😊 

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

My answer to "how to be happy?" would be by being mindful. But, that is not easy as the prerequisite to mindfulness is having some wisdom or knowledge. Before one tries to be mindful, one should know what to be mindful about:)

So what can be practiced, is seeking knowledge. Hence, one can try to read more, interact with variety of peoples, listen to discourses, lectures. Try to get as much point of views as possible. Most importantly keep contemplating on all the received information. Eventually some things would start making sense. Such that one would be able to identify things worth holding onto and things that don't matter. Now if one is able to hold on to things that matter and let go of things that don't matter, one would be happy. (In my humble opinion).

So for late teenagers, explore more and don't get constrained by what your peers think is cool or not cool. Don't be afraid to become an outcast :p

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

In my opinion a life of purpose gives you happiness. If one is capable of finding a purpose or goal bigger than themselves and keep working at it, one step at a time. Then the journey will mostly be happy. Of course there will be sad days and happy days but a general sense of excitement and contentment, on the inside will prevail.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Happiness is the inner state of our being ... therefore, we have to uproot all thought, feelings and emotions which make us unhappy.

It's essentially our likes and dislikes (reactions), judgements and 'inability to accept' whathever life serves us as fruits of our actions or inactions.

If we can accept everything as blessing or prasadam and be grateful for all that happens to us as human experience being grateful for the same whether pleasant or unpleasant and rise above the duality, we can touch that inner space where happiness reside in the inner sanctum sanctorum of our being which is ever happy, blissful, joyful. 

It's like dark clouds of clouded thinking over the happiness sunny field which needs to be rmoved or removed. I am also working and practising on the same lines ...

Peace,

Anup (Vishnu)

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

What I would say is to remove any if's and but's from your reason of happiness. Many people say, I'm happy today because-; I'm happy today if-, but-. only if- etc. It can be any reason. Real happiness in my opinion is when you drop the words. Just say I'm happy today. For no reason whatsoever. In the race to claim happiness, I feel humans forget that we are happy as it is and there need not be any reason for happiness. So my advice is to not seek happiness. Just be happy. For no reason. Be happy you got to open your eyes today. That's it. Thank you.

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Yes.

I would advice to my younger late teen self…

to stop seeking for happiness, to give up this pursuit of happiness. 
And practice Gratitude as an everyday routine.

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Don’t chase the concept of happiness as it being a never ending stream of pleasures. Make the most of the moment you’re in, whatever “making the most” means to you.

watch this video, I have watched and read hundreds of books, articles and videos on the topic, this one was one of the life changing ones. The title is a little misleading but the video is worth it.

https://youtu.be/e-or_D-qNqM  

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Learn to just 'be'. Happiness, etc. are consequences.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Million dollar question. 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Be yourself. 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Honestly, I do not know...

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

I am happiest enjoying little things in life...a walk in the nature , a cup of tea , watching rain from a window , a random act of kindness , a chocolate piece sweetened with stevia , listening and singing devotional songs, reading a book and so on...Little things matter more than bigger achievements ..I feel that makes the difference.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Practicing 'Let Go' regularly, Habit of forgiveness, establishing a connection with our heart center and with mother nature are some practices in my view which can really make us happy😊

Show 2 comments

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Acceptance. 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *