What do you think "having a pure heart" means?

God resides in hearts that are brimming with purity.

It's a question that has been on my mind for quite some time, so let me ask you beautiful people, what does purity of the heart mean, according to you?:)

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

For me purity of the heart means being child like. Being quick in finding joy in something as simple as a 1 rupee candy. And just as quick in moving on from hurt and anger and not harbouring any feelings of hatred or grudge towards anyone. Children are hurt easily, they forget easily and they rejoice even more easily. Just playing along with the world.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

It's actually metaphysical in a way. When one is pure, the ego or the layers of covering of the pristine pure atman by lust, greed etc is totally done away with either by karma, bhakthi, yoga or jnana. Why is Swamiji shining? It is because there is no residual dross of any afflictions that can veil the jiva-atman and it shines in its own purity and becomes a seat of the paramatman.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Purity of heart or Purity (Shaucha,शौच) in general, has been mentioned in Patanjali Yoga Sutras. 
It refers to the purity of mind, speech and body. 

1) Mind: Anger, hate, prejudice, greed, pride, fear, negative thoughts are a source of impurity of mind. Purity of thoughts comes from reflection, peace of mind, silence, calmness, gentleness and purity of being.

2) Speech: Purity of speech comes from being truthful and through the use of words that are not injurious, hurtful or distressing to others or self. 

3) Body: Purity of body comes from the cleanliness of body as well as from what one eats and drinks

Hope this helps

Source: Wiki page on Shaucha 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Not having malice, ill towards others.

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

I would say having the well being of others in your mind above everything else, cultivating that detached attitude which does not reacts but responds to every life situation 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

To me, purity has three aspects. Physical, mental and emotional purity. Purity of heart will come under emotional purity, to me no ten emotion( lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride, jealousy, hatred, shame) will stay for a long time leaving the colour. They will come and go . 

It means a pure person at heart part with these emotions as soon as he/she recognizes them. 

How one can recognize will need a mental purity, able to leave the thought as soon as it comes by not pursuing and shifting the attention, this keeping the mental box clean.

All glories to Swamiji alone 💌

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

I don't know the answer, but I read parts of a Sufi book in grade five or six and there are only a couple of things that I remember. One of which answers the question in my opinion. It said if you there is someone walking beside you and the person is uncomfortable because of you, you have just committed the biggest sin. My interpretation to that is we have a pure heart is when our actions are directed towards the betterment of those around us and don't bring down or hurt them. And a heart that is full of love for everyone and everything around them, which I think will automatically result in the being kind and serving those around us. 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Great question, Komal, which had me thinking over the past couple of days.  I think it has to do with gratitude and humility.  When we are so grateful to the universe for all the blessings in this life, and we are overflowing with that sense of wanting to thank God or nature, or whatever energy we think is the ultimate source, I believe that is a sign of a pure heart.  It's a sign of a pure heart and the sentiment that purifies the seat of the soul in the first place.  Humility because when ego flares up, divinity is nowhere in sight

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

a compassionate heart just like Swamiji's

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Having more heart in what we do leads it’s way to a pure heart. Put differently, there’s no such thing as an impure heart 😊

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Being pure in heart involves having a singleness of heart toward God. A pure heart has no hypocrisy, no guile, no hidden motives. The pure heart is marked by transparency and an uncompromising desire to please God in all things. It is more than an external purity of behavior; it is an internal purity of soul.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

For me, it means not coloring situations with our conditioning, judgements, our view points & seeing them for what they are. 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Achieving Purity of Heart:

7 days of drinking spring water from a Mountain that faces North West.

Mountain must not be more than 70ft in height and must have a baobab tree on its west side.

Problem solved.

Sai Kholo Jee

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Definitely im not eligible to answer this. But what i experienced from swamiji is.. simple ness, humble ness, truthful ness is purity in a coconut shell (Swamiji's joke🤣🤣)

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *