How to connect gayatri mantra with breath.

I am trying to connect gayatri mantra with breath. But I can breath in and breath out for only 1 stance out 4.  

so I say 1 stance while I breath in hold breath for 3 stances. start gayatri mantra again with breath out and again for 1 stance for breath out. hold breath for 3 stance . 

Is this the right way ? 

2. is Anulom vilom by itself a good meditation technique if done for a longer period of time ? because mind is silent and concentrating on breath which is same as any meditation technique.

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

If you are calm while chanting mantra with anulom-vilom, you can do your entire chanting session with it. As mentioned in The Hidden Power Of Gayatri Mantra:

Mantra shvasa is very simple: You breathe in while you are chanting your mantra, and you breathe out while chanting. While inhaling, you obviously cannot chant aloud. When you are inhaling, you can do one chant and while exhaling you can chant as well. This is called mantra shvasa.

It is possible to do an entire sadhana on just mantra shvasa. If you are used to mantra shvasa, or let’s say, all you wish to do in your sadhana is mantra shvasa, then you take a vow like, “For the next ‘x’ days I am going to do mantra shvasa, ‘y’ rounds every day.”

So, I think chanting while holding isn't recommended, at least in the book.

Edit:

in the meditation camp, holding breath isn't recommended by Swamiji for anulom-vilom until one has attained asana siddhi or at least unless one has done 6 months of regular practice. Otherwise, it can harm/damage one's nervous system which has no medical cure. Also, you should always start with a deep exhale whenever doing some yogic breathing exercises, for similar reasons - it flushes the toxins out of the body; if you start with inhalation, you're pushing those same toxins inside your body to spread across your body.

Jai Sri Hari 🙏

Show 4 comments

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

1.) Try this 

Om bhur bhuva svaha-inhale

Tat savitur ..... Devasya dhimahi-hold

Dhiyoyonah prachodayat- exhale 

(Edit- This is done while chanting mentally, recalling it mentally)

2.) No. Anulum vilom is good for balancing nadis, it has a calming effect but it can't be called meditation technique. However, becoming mindful of breath flow, and gaps is indeed a meditation technique. There are some differences in both the practices.

Hope this helps 🙏

Show 2 comments

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Technique told by Yash is the actual technique.practically, I was not able to follow it. 

I do  it like........ 

Om bhur... Inhale

Tat svetur...... Exhale

Bhargo..... Inhale

Dhio.... Exhale

Holding breath between exhale and inhale very naturally. I don't know, it is right or wrong. But I'm able to do it peacefully for a long duration . 

I also need an expert advice, if it is wrong.  Otherwise, I have left everything on Maa... Right or wrong... Kindly accept. 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

This video would surely help:)

https://youtu.be/dkZyYehimto

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *