What should I focus on while chanting Gayatri Mantra?

The meaning of the mantra or visual image of sun god?or should I listen to my own voice and kep my focus on that.

I'm a fairly newbie and had been chanting Gayatri Mantra recklessly (1.5x speed of YouTube video)  for 6 months. Then it automatically came to me that it should be chanted properly with devotion. So, first I went and read Om Swamiji's book The Power of Gayatri Mantra. 

So now I try to do a bit properly. I'm trying.

From the last 15 days I started off with a brief invocation and chanted 108 times with focus solely set on the meaning of Mantra each time.Also when I focus on the meaning of the mantra my mind doesn't wander off to any other thoughts, if it does I switch back focus to my own voice and back to meaning in few chants.

I started discovering that my mind is doing a lot of unusual things while focused on the meaning. So I have set out again to research a bit to find out which is the proper way ? Please,can anybody help ?

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Hi Arindam

Short answer: The sound of the mantra (i.e. your voice).

Or if you are using the Sadhana App which I highly recommend, then you'd focus on the sound of Om Swami's voice. 

Longer answer:

Don't focus on the meaning or on an image. But you can focus on the meaning if you are doing contemplative meditation. 

You can focus on an image or visualisation if you are doing meditation on form.

But for mantra chanting, you focus on the sound of the mantra. 

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

If you are chanting out loud, yes that’s the goal. Whenever you lose focus, just bring your mind back to the sound.
Ideally if you can chant mindfully in your mind it’s better.

Please watch this video from 8 to 9mins:

https://youtu.be/--U5gZBwUJY

And try this one too:

https://youtu.be/oe2HRbicIoY

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Even better, try to hear your low low voice, it will require immense mindfulness and focus on the words you are uttering in your mind:)

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

🙏, neither i am practicing Gayatri nor i know much about it.

But i want to tell, what i listened in discourse abt Gayatri. To start with, chant Gayatri in small numbers, and once you get hold on focus then slowly increase the number.

🙏🙏

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Thank you. So I'm doing japa of 108.

Are you suggesting I should keep my focus on my voice all the time while doing japa of 108?

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Thank you.

But I'm chanting at very very low voice. In this case what should be the point of focus?

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *