Why asanas are so important while chanting and meditation?

What is its significance? Why swamiji mentioned in book Ancient science of Mantras - Asanas help to seperate u from earth energy..... But why we need to separate ourself from earth energy?   In scriptures it is mentioned that if u dont use the asanas ur japa and mediation energy will be stolen by Indra dev.... Now As swamiji says All the gods are one then whats a problem if mother divine take evrything in form of indra dev...   Pls explain

Add a comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Dear Raghav, acc to me it’s not a question of energy being stolen rather it has to do with energy being channeled. Now if I ask you if you would like to eat a heavy meal while lying flat on the ground or while hanging upside down, you would vehemently be opposed to it right? Why? Simply because for the consumption of food and to assimilate it in a harmonious manner a certain postural configuration of your body is preferred over an other. Just so for the assimilation of spiritual knowledge and to access certain inner dimensions of consciousness certain postures or asanas are preferred over others. 

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Commenting on os.me is limited to premium members to ensure genuine and positive discussions.  

Add a comment

Swamiji has indicated in the book that if you follow the same process using the same things as the seer who first invoked that mantra followed, the chances of siddhi greatly increases. For instance:

Knowing the seer of a mantra is exercising the third option. If you don’t know who first discovered this mantra, you may miss out on many critical aspects of that mantra. For example, all mantras where the great sage Vashistha is the seer, you have much greater chance of mantra siddhi, if you lit a lamp made from cow’s ghee or if you sat on a kusha-asana or a kambala-asana because that’s what Vasishta used.

Mantra sadhana is based out of an ancient tradition and as the term implies, tradition involves a set of rules/rituals, to respect that tradition; to be considered a worthy part of that tradition.

Other than this, I don't have any info as to any scientific aspect of using a particular asana for a particular sadhana.

Jai Sri Hari 🙏

Show 3 comments

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Pardon me, for I am not all knowing. But I am just dropping in, because the question intrigued me, and probably, this answer might act as yet another "marker" of inspiration, as Mudit Ji above says, in your discussion.

The answer is 'probably' within your question - "if u dont use the asanas ur japa and mediation energy will be stolen by Indra dev..."

Aasan is symbolic of a sturdy base, for focus. Just like an ergonomic chair in an office, or a pitch in a cricket stadium.

Remember the story of Indra yagya in Gokul turning into a Govardhan pooja? How Krishna defeated Lord Indra in that yagya?

Indra here is, a secret or a silent challenge you might face, most unexpectedly, in the process of achieving your goal. Think about it, won't it be boring for the referees or commentators of a cricket match, if there were no action in a match? Just like that, Mother divine may throw upon you, a challenge, most lovingly, as you are Her child, to make it more interesting for the both of you - you and the presiding deity.

For, "Now As Swami ji says All the gods are one then whats a problem if mother divine take evrything in form of indra dev."

Indra is your anti-hero. Indra can be crafty. You need to defeat Indra, with the same thrill, that you get when you defeat your sibling in a video game match or gully cricket! It's a match, one of many kinds, that Lord Vishnu enjoys playing!

Its one of the many ways a Krishna comes to be about!

If you are internally stable, an external aasana may not even be needed! You can play directly in Mother Nature's lap. Krishna did not sit, in fact He danced on top of Kaliya's head to defeat Kaliya as His Sadhana. 

But in Rishi Sandipani's Aashram, He sat down most respectfully, in front of His Guru, on an aasana.

Show 3 comments

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Discover your own truth Bro! Btw dancing is an aasan too..try engine daud https://youtube.com/shorts/bet1CcRjMl8?feature=share

Show 3 comments

Please to comment.

Add a comment

If the energy is gone into Earth then how will you use it? 

Apart from that, I guess the philosophical answer to this question is that Nature wants Survival of the Fittest. This is a less observed pattern but even in Spiritual Evolution Nature looks for Survival of the Fittest, just like the physical evolution of our species, animals, and plants. For that, Nature may have markers like knowledge of the seer or how sadhana is done in the lineage. Why will Nature choose such markers? Ultimately, there is no answer to this why. It could have chosen many other things as well. In Ramacharitmanas Vashista Ji described his experience of Multiverse. In that, he saw a universe in which justice is injustice. In yet another universe he saw everything did not begin with the power of vak (the power of "spoken word", something like that) as our universe has. So ultimately there is no why of these things. It is Infinite. 

So philosophically I think Nature does this to ensure the survival of the fittest. This exact marker may be for maintaining universal harmony or some other reason. And there is no why for Nature choosing this specific marker after a certain point. 

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Learning to sit in a particular asan helps still the 5 primary and 5 secondary energies..Swami ji has mentioned this across variou writings..this will naturally lead to the stilling pf the momd which then can focus in one pointed attention either in meditation or chanting..otherwise it's mostly an exercise in futility..

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Do it. Feel it. Experience it. Baaki koi answer nahi. It's up to you

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

Most office workers use an asana without even realizing it. Most of us sit in a chair behind our desk, and we like our own chair, not somebody else's chair. The personalized office chair helps us focus our minds and do our work efficiently. The same thing applies to spiritual pursuits like meditation. An asana will help us focus our energy, just like an office chair.  Also, if we don't sit on a chair, our senses will lead us in all directions. The lord of the senses is Indra. Hence we can, symbolically, say that Indra will steal our energy if we don't use a proper asana.

Show 1 comment

Please to comment.

Add a comment

The community is here to help you with your spiritual discovery & progress. Be kind & truthful! Some pointers to get good answers:

Author Name

Author Email

Your question *