Do you believe in evil eye or "nazar"?

• People say that logon ki "nazar" lag jaati hai. People who are jealous of us, may have a malefic effect on us because they look at us with "evil eyes". So, it is said that we should avoid telling much about ourselves to such people, keeping our joys to ourselves because they much somehow negatively influence our success and wellbeing. Do you believe in this?
  • According to me, there is no such things as evil eye and it is just mind's weakness that is borne our of a person's fears. But I could be wrong. So, I sometimes do get scared of evil eye.
14 Answers

Swami answered this question somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Yes, others' positive and negative thoughts can affect us. But I remember that Swami asked a question in return for this. He queried, "Are their thoughts/karma that powerful that they can affect you?"

In other words, if we strengthen ourselves through spiritual practices, nobody's positive or negative vibes can do anything to us. We may sense it, but we won't be affected by it. That's something I can say with confidence because I've experienced it.

As always, purifying ourselves from within and burning everything with the power of our will, is the solution. We then become liberated from all the effects of the world. 

Nalin - 

ख़ुदी को कर बुलंद इतना कि हर तक़दीर से पहले

ख़ुदा बंदे से ख़ुद पूछे बता तेरी रज़ा क्या है

Jai Sri Hari bhai. If your life is in service of the divine, then why worry about other people and their "eyes". Ever since I was a child, I would make it a point to cross the road where a cat crossed before me. My Ganesh bhagwan was far more powerful than a cat was the logic for my tiny head and that worked very well for me.

Hi Nalin! I absolutely adore how regular you are with the posts & questions.  Yess,I do believe in ' Nazar'.Many a times I have experienced it & when someone does nazar utarana , I get benefits as well. I have been planning to ask Swamiji about this but O found the answer in one of His videos. 

Hi Nalin, 

I don't believe in evil eye. I think jealousy only burns the person who is jealous, it doesn't affect anyone else. But now that I'm thinking about this, I remember Swami saying that heartfelt blessings are potent enough to bring about positivity and grace in your life. And if this is true, then the opposite must also be true. If someone gives a heartfelt curse to anyone, it might cast a so called "evil eye" in our life. But heartfelt curses aren't usually born out of just jealousy, there's usually more to it. So I don't believe in this random evil eye or "nazar" concept. Having said that, I usually don't divulge much about myself or my goals and ambitions to anyone except my parents because I don't want to hear other people's opinions or judgements on these matters.

Hello Nalin 🙂 I do believe that there are impurities that we gather (for what reasons I am not sure) and we can also remove them (self cleansing in many natural and pure ways). I am not an expert on this subject but I am sharing with you what I've come to learn over the years and also felt it to be true in my life and lives of so many around who I've observed (also from my Yoga training and knowledge gained from my Guru that explains the science of human system and energy body in Yogic literature). Even I used to think it's all fake earlier. But in my understanding it exists. Now we call it nazar or evil eye or bad dhristi, again I don't tag any word to it. A simple example is taking a shower post a stressful day and suddenly there is a relief (our body is made of 5 elements and water is one of them). Yogis smeared themselves with mud (as I heard from my Guru) and today we call it mud-bath. Anyways, I hope I was able to answer you in some way. 🙂

If positive vibes reaches the opposite then negative should also reach. Negative karmic field of someone who doesn't like us should have an effect. With some people you feel drained out. This is my view Nalin 

According to my understanding, every human being exudes a certain energetic aura around them. Your personal aura can either be strong or weak.  Just like how a weak metal when placed next to a strong magnet becomes caught up in the magnetic energy of the strong magnet and starts to get affected by it, so is the case with humans. If your energetic aura is weaker, then someone with a very strong aura can affect you. Strength of aura can either be positive or negative. If someone with a strong negative aura enters your life, and your aura is weaker, you will definitely feel their influence one way or another. However if you are on the spiritual path where you invoke certain prayers and practices everyday, those things all add up in strengthening  your aura, giving you a powerful layer of protection.  

In one word Yes. HELL YES.

There might be something to it, Swami Ji talked about it in one of the videos but I can't find which video it was. 

Hi!! I think I believe in evil eye or 'nazar'.

Thank you everyone for your beautiful answers 😊🙏

meditate and strengthen your mind against the opinions of others..chanting helps definitely..and faith is the absolute armour ..

If you view every thing as energy, and thats what science claims as well, we are open to both the positive and the negative effects. One needs to cleanse or purify ones self and surroundings. A Master is above it all.

Related Posts

1 year ago

What Makes You a Saint

In a world full of religious people, how do you identify a real saint?

12mo ago

Nothing is Permanent

" Nothing is permanent in this world - not even your troubles ." - Charlie Chaplin

6y ago

The Four Truths of Life

Here's my version of the four truths of human existence.

8y ago

If Truth Be Told — A Monk’s Memoir

If Truth Be Told is my memoir slated to be released next month by Harper Collins India. This is my life's journey thus far.

Let go and breathe in the real you

Join the kindest community, where personal failures & victories are celebrated and inspiration & happiness is shared

EXPLORE View All