What is your say on worshiping or doing pooja of small idol or Statue of God at home ?

[Solved]

Hi,

I hear this saying- not sure maybe it is more common say in south India. 

Anyhow my question goes like this:- 

Instead of keeping big glass photos of many gods, I want to buy a small Idol or Statue of Devi (Sringeri Sri Sharadamba, Maa Kali, or Sri Annapoorneshwari - yet to decide) but my mother says idol or statue we can not keep it at home only allowed to place it in the temple !

reason 1. offering prasad to god statue every day without fail. 

reason 2. my family cook nonvegetarian food at home.

What's your opinion on this? 

Om Narayani Namostute. 

Thank you. 

regards:

Keerthi

4 Answers

I'm from South India, and I can relate to what you've asked. In my view, not having idols at home is just a superstition.

Our home is also a temple, and our altar is also a Garbha Griha. Therefore, Swami recommends that we stop cluttering our altar. Instead, he advises that we have just one or two images/idols of the Divine at our place of worship. 

Following the same, throughout his Sadhana, Swami had only one idol of Vishnu with him.

This is the only idol I have had at my altar for quite a while now... She is my Divine, friend, father, mother, family, and everything...  https://www.amazon.in/Kartique-Bronze-Standing-Sherawali-Navratra/dp/B08BYF442H/

Also, I've been a vegetarian all my life, but I'm jotting down what Swami said about non-vegetarian food. Non-vegetarian food is your personal preference, and it has nothing to do with your spiritual life or your relationship with the Divine. The only time non-vegetarian food isn't allowed is during specific Sadhana (like Gayatri Sadhana). 

I hope that helps. My love to you.

Hello keerthi ji ! I'll tell you what happens in my house. Although my household doesn't consist of the most devout people, but we do have idols in our puja room along with photos. The idols are made of brass(peetal) . We have idols of Lord Vishnu, Goddess Lakshmi,Lord Ganesha, a Radha Krishna duo and 3 very cute Bala Gopalas. I haven't seen any stone statues or idols being worshipped in my my house except for the two stone shivlings( a black and a white) . All of us are non vegetarians. My mother does puja regularly, once a day. She wears fresh clothes, sits for puja, does it for 10 mins (slightly longer on Thursdays - probably 15 mins) and makes very simple offerings of flowers, some sweets and water. Also , I don't think my mother abides by any specific "rules or regulations" while performing the puja. She has her own rituals. When we go for vacations, our puja room is locked and no one else performs puja in our absence but she takes her Bala Gopalas everywhere we go and they are the only ones who receive the puja when we travel. My mother does all this ever since I can recall and well.. the Gods never complained about her service! I hope my answer helped you. 🙂

P.S: Bengalis usually do not keep statues of Goddess Kali or any form of Kali in the puja room of their houses (one can have photos), because She is not a householder in this form and the murti puja of this form of Devi requires adherence to stringent rituals and rules. (atleast that's what I've heard from elders, don't know how true it is!)

A Vigraha of your Isht in stone or panchloha(Alloy of 5 metals) is ok to keep on your altar. The Divine is only looking for your Bhaav and if you feel a Vigraha helps you pour out that Bhaav and establish a connection then you may. Your bhaav of how you converse, pray to, cry to, sing to or even fight with your Isht is more superior than any other thing. ... Ramakrishna Paramhansa would feed Mother after he himself tasted, Meerabai cooked for Her Giridhar Gopal even though the Royal Kitchen served non veg... The Divine is only bound by your love.

Well, I am not a fit person to reply yet I want to put this on record that I have yet to develop a taste for vigrah pooja. Yet, in no way, do I ever feel left out, or guilty, or yearning for such a pooja. Am at total peace even without a single idol. Almighty is with me always.🙇🏼‍♀️🙇🏼‍♀️🙇🏼‍♀️🙇🏼‍♀️🙇🏼‍♀️

About non-veg, well there is a bhakta of Lord named Sadan Kasai. He was a butcher by profession. Sant Ravidas, Meera bai's guruji, was a cobbler. They got enlightenment in that very life (some 6 to 7 hundred years ago, when superstitions etc. must be even deeply rooted than today).

BHAAVA     BHAAVA and   BHAAVA .....that matters most. 😊😊😊😊

Related Posts

1 year ago

What Makes You a Saint

In a world full of religious people, how do you identify a real saint?

12mo ago

Nothing is Permanent

" Nothing is permanent in this world - not even your troubles ." - Charlie Chaplin

6y ago

The Four Truths of Life

Here's my version of the four truths of human existence.

8y ago

If Truth Be Told — A Monk’s Memoir

If Truth Be Told is my memoir slated to be released next month by Harper Collins India. This is my life's journey thus far.

Let go and breathe in the real you

Join the kindest community, where personal failures & victories are celebrated and inspiration & happiness is shared

EXPLORE View All