Rahu and Ketu are the two lunar nodes and shadow planets which lack an actual physical shape. They have a powerful effect on people’s emotions. They are regarded as malefics and rarely play a positive role in a person’s birth chart.
Rahu Ketu Dosha
After Samudra Manthan (churning of the Milky Ocean), the Devas (gods) sat down to drink Amrit, the elixir of immortality, which was one of the many wonderful things that emerged from the ocean. Though the demons had also helped to churn the ocean, they were not invited. But unnoticed by the gods, an Asura or demon, called Svarbhanu, sat disguised among the gods waiting to consume the ‘Amrit.’
But the Sun and The Moon recognized the imposter and informed Lord Vishnu. Vishnu chopped off his head with his discus, Sudarshan Chakra. The demon split into two parts. Unfortunately, he had consumed a drop of nectar by then, which made him immortal.
The two parts became Rahu and Ketu. They are depicted as part snake and part human. The one with the snake’s head is Rahu, and the one with the snake’s tail is Ketu. Since then, Rahu and Ketu are foes of the Sun and the Moon and cause solar and lunar eclipses.
When these two planets are malefic, they can cause much trouble and inconvenience. Rahu is so inauspicious that astrologers forbid performing auspicious activities during Rahu Kaal Muhurat.
Rahu Dosha happens when Rahu and Moon are conjoined, joining or separating to neighboring house/zodiac sign. It is also formed when they aspect each other. It will occur whether there is any or no benefic aspect or influence from Jupiter to such a Moon.
Some examples of Rahu Dosha:
1. Rahu, Lagna, and Moon are conjoined.
2. Rahu is in the 1st house, 2nd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 12th house of Rasi, Chandra Lagna, and the Navamsa.
3. Rahu aspects the Moon or Lagna, 5, 7, and 9 houses.
4. Under the aspect of Rahu, Moon with or without Jupiter’s aspect (Jupiter can go retrograde too).
5. Rahu does or does not receive Jupiter’s aspect.
Rahu Dosha has an adverse impact on all the planets in your chart, which are encircled by Rahu. They will lose most of their positive effects, so the person will be very unlucky. Troubles pursue them, and important life events (marriage, childbirth, etc.) may be delayed. Almost all aspects of their life will be adversely impacted. Someone with Rahu Dosha is likely to endure pain and sorrow for most of their life.
There are astrological remedies for Rahu and Ketu dosha in Vedic astrology. These can appease Rahu and Ketu. Doing certain simple remedies at home can help to remove Rahu Ketu dosha.
Impact Of Rahu and Ketu on One’s Life
Rahu’s impact can cause mental illness, stress, losses, legal problems, death in the family, and sudden changes in life. If it is well-placed in the birth chart, it can bestow fame and courage. If it is malefic, it can cause leprosy, skin diseases, breathing problems, etc.
If Ketu is in an unfavorable position, it can cause brain disorders, ear and lung problems. Ketu represents pride, ego, unethical actions, bad company, and hardships.
Rahu and Ketu dosha can severely impact a person’s entire life. Hence, people with this dosha should perform Rahu Ketu dosha remedies without fail.
The transit of Rahu and Ketu spans eighteen months and affects everyone. But remedies for Rahu Ketu transit are slightly different from remedies for Rahu-Ketu dosha.
Home Remedies For Rahu Ketu Dosha
There are many remedies that you can do at your home to reduce or nullify the effects of this Dosha. Here are some of them.
1. Offer sweets to orphans and homeless children. This can reduce the negativity of Ketu.
2. Chant Shiva Panchakshara Mantra “Om Namah Shivaya” 108 times daily.
3. Offer belpatra, raw milk, fruits, and water to Shiva Linga at a Shiva temple.
4. Recite Dosha Nivaran Mantra 108 times regularly.
5. Seek the blessings of Lord Shiva often. Visit a Shiva temple daily and offer water.
6. Wear or keep a nivaran yantra or rudraksha mala.
7. Perform the Naga Pooja. Chant specific mantras for 21 consecutive days.
8. Wear a nivaran ring made using silver.
9. Perform Rudra Abishekam.
10. Offer a cobra or Naga snake made using copper or gold to any Shiva temple.
11. Perform Kala Sarpa Nivarana Pooja in Srikalahasti temple, Andhra Pradesh, or other famous temples where such Poojas can be done.
12. Eat in the kitchen as much as possible.
13. Perform Jaap for Rahu and Ketu separately.
14. Avoid red and coral colors, especially in clothing and jewelry.
15. Donate monochrome plaid blankets to the needy. This is a very effective remedy for Rahu-Ketu dosha.
16. Donate mustard oil to reverse the malefic effect.
17. If the malefic influence of Ketu is present, take care of dogs and offer shelter to street dogs.
18. Do not wear black clothes.
19. Yellow and white are favorable colors for Ketu.
By performing these simple home remedies for Rahu Ketu dosha, you can reduce the negative effects of Rahu and Ketu.