Let’s go through the relaxation drill one final time in this series…
Before you read further,
– Deep breathe for a couple of minutes.
– Observe your breath for a bit.
– Then, try to keep a calm mind.
– Think of Adi Shankara, who was eight years old when he composed this hymn.
– Thank him soulfully for the wisdom he imparted.
– Recall his words in the previous verses:
- You are not your mind and faculties, the sensory perceptions, or the five elements making up this body.
- You are beyond your breath, your body’s energy flows, your physical body, and your body’s subtle layers.
- You are not your likes, dislikes, greed, delusions, pride, or feelings of envy.
- You are beyond (the results of) your life’s meaningful pursuits.
- You are not your merits, demerits, joys, or sorrows.
- You are beyond any mantras, places of worship, scriptures, or rituals.
- You are not your experiences, the object of experience, or the experiencer.
- You are beyond the fear of death and you aren’t restricted by caste or other distinctions.
- You are beyond this birth and all of your life’s connections including your parents, relatives, and friends.
- You are neither a guru nor a disciple.
- You are Shiva, the auspicious and liberated one.
– With that mindset, try to contemplate this verse.
अहं निर्विकल्पो निराकाररूपो
विभुत्वाच्च सर्वत्र सर्वेन्द्रियाणाम् ।
न चासङ्गतं नैव मुक्तिर्न मेयः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥६॥
ahaṃ nirvikalpo nirākārarūpo
vibhutvācca sarvatra sarvendriyāṇām
na cāsaṅgataṃ naiva muktirna meyaḥ
cidānandarūpaḥ śivo’ham śivo’ham ॥6॥
I am Changeless,
I am Formless.
I am Present in Everything,
I am Present in my Sensory Perceptions.
I do not Cling to Anything,
Neither do I Abandon Anything.
My True Form is
My Happy Inner Self,
Because I am Shiva!
I am Shiva!
To each one of you reading this, You Are Shiva!
Don’t limit yourself with your fears and insecurities. You are way beyond those. Know that if you put your heart and soul into anything, you can achieve it. And, that’s true for your spiritual transformation as well. Keep walking the path until you realize – You are Shiva, the auspicious and liberated one.
Be Physically Fit. Be Peaceful. Be Purposeful.
That’s all there is to life.
Finally, here’s a nice rendition of this meditative chant:
That completes this series.
Om Sri Hari.