Metaphysics and theology are two fascinating subjects that go hand in hand. They entwine closely and try to define the nature of real world in which we reside. Vedanta says that ultimately the Atman and Brahman are the same. We are nothing but fragments of the overlord, the Param Atman.
“Seth Speaks – The eternal validity of the soul” is one such book written by Jane Roberts, that explores the metaphysics of reality as we understand it.
Dorothy Jane Roberts was an American author, poet, psychic, and spirit medium, who channeled a personality who called himself “Seth.” Her publication of the Seth texts, known as the Seth Material, established her as one of the preeminent figures in the world of paranormal phenomena. She was born in Albany, New York in 1929. There have been several Seth books on similar subjects – nature of personal reality, nature of the psyche, unknown reality, nature of mass events, dreams, evolution and projection of consciousness. She merged into the infinite in 1984 at the age of 55.
Some excerpts from the book:
- The physical senses force you to translate experience into physical perceptions. The inner senses open the range of perception, allow you to interpret experience in a far freer manner and to create new forms and new channels, through which you can know yourself. (26)
- In dreams you set your goals, as after death you set the goals for another incarnation. (137)
- The thoughts you think today will in one way or another become the fabric of your next existence…if you look about you at your relatives, friends, acquaintances, and business associates, you will also see what kind of person you are, for you are drawn to them as they are drawn to you, through very basic inner similarities. (172)
- If you examine your thoughts for five minutes at various times during the day for several times a month, you will indeed receive a correct impression of the kind of life you have so far arranged for yourself in the next existence. (172)
- Ideas that you have entertained and not used may be picked up in this same manner by other probable you’s. (228)
- You are not programmed. Nothing happens because it must happen. Every thought you now have changes reality. Not only reality as you know it, but all reality. (423)
The book is a fascinating read. With more than 400 pages and 22 chapters, the book becomes fairly technical a lot of times, trying to explain various phenomena such as – three-dimensional existence, physical reality, multidimensional personality, consciousness in matter, extrasensory perception (ESP), dreams, altered states, multidimensional God, after death choices and mechanics of transition, alternate presents and multiple focus etc.
The book has been a bestseller in the United States and has been praised by contemporary authors of our times – Deepak Chopra (author of The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, Louise Hay (author of You can heal your life), Shakti Gawain (author of Creative Visualization) & Michael Talbot (author of The Holographic Universe).