Do you think you’re too old, too young, too busy or too weak to change the world and win hearts?
Well, think again!
Last year, Sir Tom Moore, at the ripe age of 99 years old, raised more than £33 million for charity by walking 100 laps of 100 metres in his garden. He decided to do this out of gratitude and to mark his 100th birthday which was on 30th April 2020. But the surprising thing is that he was only aiming to raise about 1000 pounds and at the beginning he thought that even trying to get £1000 was far-fetched! Talk about starting small huh!:)
The response he received from the public was phenomenal, and he was flooded with thousands of birthday cards on his 100th birthday, to then go on and be knighted by the queen. At Christmas, he also topped the singles chart for a song he sang. It’s unbelievably cute.
His achievements are better seen than read, so, I will let you see it for yourself here. Have some tissues handy though:)
This sweetheart was on a mission to win hearts with his care and love for life, for others and for the world. His gratitude towards the National health service, made him see beyond himself and set out on this task. He started off small. And the lessons I have learnt from this adorable gentleman, are many.
He was the eternal optimist with the now famous saying:
“Tomorrow will be a good day.”
In his final message on Instagram to the world last month, Sir Tom posted a picture which read:
“You can do and be anything you want to be”
“Be positive and believe in yourself.”
With his love for motorbikes, being part of British Army in the second world war and leading a life full of challenges and adventures, his spirit of success, kindness, persistence and contagious positivity was enough to inspire the whole world. Even when the world was low in spirits, he would say that the sun will shine again, and it surely will. His spirit will surely live forever and he will be an inspiration to many future generations.
I’ll sum up my lessons from this sweetheart and you may agree with me if you read about his journey towards becoming a hero here. You may be further interested to read about his life journey on the same website.
I figured from Tom’s life and actions, that:
1. We are ageless in spirit. We are beyond the body and where there is a will, there is a way.
2. We are as old as we think we are. There is no limit as to what we can achieve, at any age.
3. Any genuine act of kindness, no matter how small, can make a world of difference. Literally and otherwise.
4. We never know when our actions can inspire others, to be kind, to love and to care.
5. Never underestimate what you can do. We have immense potential within us. And we can do anything at all with the right motivation and intention.
6. Whatever we do with love, will undoubtedly reach great heights.
7. “No one is strong enough to resist the language of love” ~ Om Swami:)
8. Great wisdom and care lies in those who have experienced more life than us. Let’s listen to them.
9. When we truly want something, the entire universe conspires to help us make it happen.
10. Never, ever, ever give up on your dreams, even if you are 99 years old. Or even a 100!:)
So, if you’re having a bad day, remember this 100 year old sweetheart’s words:
“For all those people who are finding it difficult at the moment:
the sun will shine on you again and the clouds will go away”
May the inspiration he has brought to the world be eternal and his soul rest in peace! Let’s enjoy life and live it to the fullest like this inspiring sweetheart:) And oh, he was totally living it up till his last few months and enjoyed his nice holiday in Barbados! What excuse do we have?? I can’t think of any.:)
Photo credits: Captain Tom Moore completing one of his laps with regards to the challenge he took on:)