On Dec 31st 2022 I decided I will write down my New Year resolutions so that I can conquer the year 2023 with my Grit, Determination, Ambition and what not. Now this activity could be time consuming and brain draining. It requires one to prioritize what is important in life and what milestones lie ahead in the year. It requires one to balance between reality and ambition. So I had set apart the entire day to do this.
Guess what, It took me just 2 mins to put down my Goals for 2023.
I just changed the year from 2022 to 2023 in my last years New Year resolution chart.
And why did I do that?
Because I failed to do what I promised myself in 2022. In fact I failed miserably. If I had to score my performance it was 5 /100.
So What went wrong?
A lot of things. And it is not down to the situations around me, It’s just the fact that I got my execution completely wrong. Not Just the execution but may be the intent and even the planning.
So how can one (try to) get it right?
Let me take a shot at it (of all the people)
Why New Year Resolutions Fail?
There are a number of reasons why new year resolutions fail. One of the biggest reasons is that people often set unrealistic goals for themselves. For example, someone might resolve to lose 50 pounds in a single month, which is not only unrealistic, but also unhealthy. When people set goals that are too difficult to achieve, they are more likely to become frustrated and give up. In my case I had set I would do at least 4 treks in 2022 while I had yet to set my body in order for even 30 mins of continuous brisk walks.
Trying to kill many birds with one shot
Another reason why new year resolutions fail is that people often try to change too many things at once. For example, someone might resolve to exercise more, eat healthier, and quit smoking all at the same time. While these are all admirable goals, trying to tackle all of them at once can be overwhelming and lead to burnout. Last year I had set goals in professional, personal and spiritual front while I tried to get a balanced diet and an exercise routine and control some of the “tendencies” that I have. In the hindsight, I have realized that’s a lot to do in a single year.
Lack of Motivation
Another common reason for the failure of new year resolutions is a lack of motivation. People may start off the year with good intentions, but as time goes on, they may lose their initial enthusiasm and struggle to keep going. This can be due to a number of factors, such as a lack of external support or a lack of progress or a unexpected pause in schedule. When people don’t see the results they were hoping for, they may become discouraged and give up. For some of the goals I gave up as early as January end.
Procrastination is another reason why new year resolutions fail. People may be motivated to make a change, but they may put off actually taking action. This can be due to a variety of reasons, such as fear of failure or simply not knowing where to start. When people put off taking action, they are more likely to lose momentum and give up on their resolutions.
Lack of Accountability (Skin in the Game!)
One of the biggest challenges with new year resolutions is maintaining consistency. People may start off the year with good intentions, but as time goes on, they may fall back into old habits and patterns. This can be due to a lack of accountability or a lack of support. When people don’t have someone to hold them accountable or to provide encouragement, they are more likely to give up on their resolutions.
So, what can be done to increase the chances of success with new year resolutions?
The Game Plan 🙂
- One of the most important things is to set realistic goals. It’s important to be honest with oneself about what is truly achievable. Setting achievable goals will help to maintain motivation and prevent burnout.
- It’s also important to take things one step at a time. Instead of trying to tackle multiple goals at once, it’s better to focus on one goal at a time. This can help to increase the chances of success and make the process more manageable.
- Another key to success is to have a plan. This means setting SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound) . This type of goal setting helps to ensure that the goals are realistic and can be achieved within a specific time frame.
- Accountability is also important when it comes to new year resolutions. Having someone to check in with and report progress to can provide the motivation and support needed to keep going. This could be a friend, family member, or a professional coach. (Best Idea – Announce it on os.me :P)
- Finally, it’s important to be kind to oneself and not beat oneself up if things don’t go as planned. Change is hard, and it’s normal to encounter setbacks along the way. It’s important to be patient and stay positive, and to remember that progress, not perfection, is the goal.
All the Best. Happy New Year Once Again to the os.me Family!
P.S. Another reason why I failed was the year 2022 went very fast
Comments & Discussion
Please login to read members' comments and participate in the discussion.